Mar 25, 2011

Naming a baby is a funny thing. It's almost nine months later, and sometimes I look at Andy and wondered if we gave him the right name. Perhaps Andrew isn't the name that will best suit this person as he grows into himself. I suppose we name our children the names we want them to become. To me, Andy is a nice, friendly, regular kind of guy. Down to earth, not at all metro-sexual. The proper name of Andrew rings of high ACT scores and a respect for others. It's possible, though, despite my best intentions, Andy/ Andrew won't be either of these people. As a baby, he is finicky about having his outfit changed and likes to sleep between his parents with one hand on each of them. He looks sweetly hilarious in red socks. In these regards, he may have been better-named as a Simon or Henry. Other times, he is rambunctious and wild, and he pulls hair strands and cabinet handles professionally and swiftly, with a grip like a vise. He should be a Josh, I think. Or perhaps Sport. Did we screw up when we named him? Did we do it incorrectly? I am constantly forgetting his middle name, Jacob, and that part, to me, doesn't seem right at all. Jacob. Andrew Jacob. Really? Did we really just halfheartedly toss a Jacob in there? It doesn't always fit when I say it out loud. But at least we had the good sense not to try and be clever with his name. We stuck to real, solid names. People who make up baby names very rarely get it right at all. At least we'll hopefully come close.

1 comment:

Just Telling it Like it is... said...

Andy's middle name is Jacob? Where was I when we had that conversation...

oh & at least you can find your child's first name in a baby names book...I really think JadeEsther may punch me in the face one day for her name...