Dec 10, 2010

Chris and I have our eight year date-iversary coming up in a few days. Ah, I was a young, sassy thing of 22 when we first met. Now look at me: thirty, stretch marks, and the most interesting thing I talk about has to do with how many wipes I use while changing a diaper (anywhere from zero to seventeen. Fascinating stuff!).

Chris hasn't changed all that much. Still likes meat and cheese sticks, Southern Comfort, and Strong Bad emails. Still rotating through about 85% of his 2002 wardrobe. Still listening to the same music and quoting the same TV shows. Makes him sound kind of dull, but a resistance to change can be a very appealing thing in a life partner. Maybe resistance isn't the right word. Just a "Why fix what isn't broken?" kind of mentality. I did talk him into THE biggest change, having a baby, so at least he welcomes some change with open arms. Although, let's face it, if he'd have had to carry and birth that kid, we might be singing a different tune over here.

Me, I don't fit into any of my 2002 clothes, much less have I actually retained any of my 2002 clothes. My body has irrevocably changed after child birth- my pants size has ballooned from a two to a four, and my ribs are NOT THE SAME. They jut out all funny now, which I'm assuming is normal. I don't drink nearly as much alcohol as I used to- hardly any, really- because I feel like the responsible thing to do around a baby is stay sober. Other than that, I don't know. Am I the same? Essentially? Or am I different? I guess I'll have to ask Chris, who will likely make some wise crack that will have me regretting that I even bothered.

I think Chris and I have a great relationship. We match each other, we're not afraid of each other, and we're loyal to one another. And I joke that even if, one day, we woke up just utterly and completely SICK of each other, we'd probably stay together anyway. There's a lot of paperwork involved in divorce. Attorneys, notary publics, financial issues, custody arrangements. And, really, who has the energy for all that? Not us. Yep, kind of lazy. But still in love.

No comments: